Jet Airways yesterday announced it is buying much smaller Air Sahara for $500 million, a step that will give it more than half of India's domestic market based on 2005 boardings, according to press reports. The two carriers had been in talks for some time (ATWOnline, Jan. 12). Both began flying in 1993 during the first phase of India's airline liberalization. Jet completed an initial public offering of 20% in early 2005, leaving Chairman Naresh Goyal holding 80%. According to Airclaims' CASE ...

Subscribe to Access this Entire Article

"Printer-friendly" is part of ATW Plus, our online premium membership. Subscribing will provide you access to exclusive news, carefully researched airline financial, fleet and traffic data, plus the option to receive our popular, award-winning print magazine. To learn more, click here. If viewing via ATW Mobile, please login and click "Read web article" to view fully. Questions?

Already registered? here.