China Eastern Airlines will be the first of the country's big three carriers to expand into the niche regional market following CAAC's approval of its joint venture with AVIC I, Happy Air (ATWOnline, Feb. 5). AVIC I will be Happy's controlling shareholder with a 60% stake, while CEA will put in CNY400 million ($55.7 million) for the remaining 40%. The new venture will be based in Xi'an and use Chinese-built aircraft for its fleet, specifically the MA60 and ARJ21. Industry analysts noted the ...

Subscribe to Access this Entire Article

"Other News - 02/19/2008" is part of ATW Plus, our online premium membership. Subscribing will provide you access to exclusive news, carefully researched airline financial, fleet and traffic data, plus the option to receive our popular, award-winning print magazine. To learn more, click here. If viewing via ATW Mobile, please login and click "Read web article" to view fully. Questions? ATWPlus@penton.com.

Already registered? here.