Confusion surrounded the status of Gulf Air’s order for Bombardier CSeries regional jets July 6, as reports on several European aviation sites suggested the Bahraini carrier had canceled the deal.

Bombardier insisted the contract was still valid.

Quotes attributed to the Bahraini national carrier’s CEO, Krešimir Kučko, said the company had decided not to proceed with its order for 10 CS100s.

Friday is the Islamic day of rest and attempts to contact Gulf Air spokesman July 6 were unsuccessful.

The status of the Gulf Air order has been uncertain for some time. Having initially placed an order in 2012, the airline was caught up in the protracted development and certification of the Canadian regional jet.

In January 2016, Gulf Air’s then-acting CEO Maher Salman Al Musallam told this reporter that the airline was looking at whether to proceed with the delayed order and planned to have imminent talks with the manufacturer on the subject. A decision on the fate of the order was anticipated for spring 2016.

Ever since then, however, Gulf Air has remained silent whenever it has been asked about the status of its commitment. A new strategy announced earlier this year omitted any mention of the CSeries. Similarly, the airline has talked on several occasions about its forthcoming infusions of new Boeing and Airbus types, but has noticeably not made any reference to the status of the CS100.

Asked for a response, a spokeswoman for the newly inaugurated CSeries Aircraft Limited Partnership (CSALP) said: “We dont comment on discussions we may or may not be having with customers and confirm that we have a contract in place with Gulf Air.”

Alan Dron alandron@adepteditorial.com